In 1922, Camp Pike in North Little Rock opened as the headquarters for the Arkansas Army National Guard. The sprawling, 6,500-acre complex served as both home and training headquarters for tens of thousands of reserve troops, a population that required a robust medical support system. The base featured a fully operational hospital with state-of-the-art operating facilities, occupational therapy services and an orthopedics wing. Hundreds of staff manned the medical center, including many nurses who lived on base. Camp Pike’s on-base nursing staff was large enough to require separate lodging and recreational facilities to keep the nurses separated from the soldiers. Shortly before the United States entered World War II in 1941, Camp Pike was renamed Camp Robinson after the late U.S. Senator and Arkansas Governor Joseph Robinson.