To be sure your young patients continue to receive health care insurance from ARKids First, their parents/guardians need to renew their coverage. Pediatricians’ and dentist’s offices are a great place to remind parents of the need to renew.
Please consider these ways to help protect children’s health:
- Ask each parent/guardian you see in your practice to renew their child’s ARKids First coverage. They should have received a letter telling them it’s time to renew. The renewal process has changed. They must respond to the letter in one of two ways (see below).
- Consider posting this “Renew Your ARKid’s Coverage Now” flyer in your waiting room (s), exam rooms and checkout counter. It is available in both English and Spanish.
- Watch for more details on ARKids First renewal and eligibility on the afmc.org website. Check the Health Care Professionals tab at top and select AFMC blog.
Who is eligible?
ARKids First health insurance provides two coverage options for children younger than age 19:
- ARKids A is Medicaid for children and offers low-income families a comprehensive package of benefits
- ARKids B offers benefits for children of families with higher incomes
None of the benefits has changed for either benefit package.
Income eligibility, now through March 31, 2016, is listed below. If the family income is less than the amount in the A column below, the family’s child/children may be eligible for ARKids A (Medicaid). If the family income is more than column A but less than the column B amount, the children may be eligible for ARKids B.
Assets are not considered when applying for ARKids A or B. Parents or caregivers do count as part of the total number of family members in determining eligibility. (Medicaid-eligible parents, age 19 and older, are covered separately under regular Medicaid or the private option.)
Free or low-cost
There are no deductibles, premiums or copayments for ARKids A coverage for children under age 18. Children who are age 18 will have a small cost sharing at the pharmacy, for prescription eyeglasses and at the hospital for the first Medicaid-covered day of hospitalization.
There are no deductible or premiums for ARKids B coverage, but a small copayment (usually $10) is required for a doctor visit.
ARKids B is available to children who do not have employer-sponsored or group health insurance AND have not had insurance for at least 90 days. However, if you have lost insurance involuntarily, your children may be eligible for insurance immediately.
Both A and B coverage benefits include dental services. ARKids B requires a $10 copayment. Orthodontic services are covered under ARKids A with approval. ARKids B does not cover orthodontics.
For a complete list of other health-related services available under A or B, visit http://www.arkidsfirst.com/bene.htm
|ARKids First Income Eligibility|
Effective April 1, 2015 through March 31, 2016
|Family Size||ARKids A||ARKids B|
|Add for each additional member||$5,907.24||$492.27||$8,777.64||$731.47|
How to renew
There are two easy ways to renew ARKids First, both A and B.
The easiest way is online, here’s how:
- Go to www.access.arkansas.gov
- Respond to the voter registration question with “yes” or “no”
- On the next page, click yellow “Log-in/Apply or Renew” button
- Fill in the requested information
To renew by mail or in-person:
- Visit your local county office of the Arkansas Department of Human Services (DHS), OR call toll-free 1-888-474-8275, weekdays from 8 a.m. until 4:30 p.m.
- DHS workers will provide a complete information package and application form for both A and B benefit packages.
- An application form can be printed from DHS’ website, either on your home computer or at a local library’s free computers.
- Complete the application, answering all questions. Sign the form on page 8. Write RENEWAL across the top of the form and mail to:
DHS Pine Bluff Scanning Center
PO Box 5670
Pine Bluff, AR 71611