Craving fried chicken? Here’s a heart-healthy recipe the whole family will love!
Prep time Cook time Yields Serving Size
10 minutes 1 hour 20 minutes 10 servings ½ breast or 2 small drumsticks
- ½ C fat-free milk or buttermilk
- 1 tsp poultry seasoning, divided
- 1 C cornflakes, crumbled
- 1½ Tbsp onion powder
- 1½ Tbsp garlic powder
- 2 tsp ground black pepper
- 2 tsp dried hot pepper, crushed
- 1 tsp ground ginger
- 8 pieces skinless chicken (4 breasts, 4 drumsticks)
- A few shakes paprika
- Put milk in a bowl, add ½ teaspoon of poultry seasoning, and mix. Set aside.
- Combine remaining ½ teaspoon of poultry seasoning and all other spices (except paprika) with cornflake crumbs, and place in plastic bag.
- Wash chicken and pat dry. Dip a piece of chicken into milk mixture and shake to remove excess. Quickly put into plastic bag and shake with seasonings and crumbs to coat. Remove the chicken from the bag; repeat for all pieces of chicken.
- Refrigerate chicken for 1 hour.
- Remove chicken from the refrigerator and sprinkle lightly with paprika for color.
- Preheat oven to 350 °F. Space chicken pieces evenly on a greased baking pan.
- Cover with aluminum foil and bake for 40 minutes. Remove foil and continue baking for another 30 to 40 minutes, or until meat can easily be pulled away from the bone with fork.
- Drumsticks may require less baking time than breasts. The seasoning will form a crispy “skin.” (Note: Do not turn chicken during baking.)
Total fat 3 g
Saturated fat 1 g
Cholesterol 49 mg
Sodium 67 mg
Total fiber 1 g
Protein 17 g
Carbohydrates 6 g
Potassium 1 mg
Percent Daily Values are based on a 2,000 calorie diet.
Source: National Heart, Lung, and Blood Institute; National Institutes of Health; U.S. Department of Health and Human Services.